pi|engine (Pi Engine) is a multiplatform game creation software suite, aimed to ease the development and the design of 2D and 3D genre-independent games.
It is still under development, we are expecting pre-alpha release soon.
The project conststs of the game engine runtime, ported to different platforms, and the integrated development environment for rapid game development Creator IDE.
Designers import the assets - graphics, sounds, models, developers write object classes and level designers place these in Scenes.
While pi|engine targets primarily casual 2D game development as for now, in the near future advanced 3D features will become available, making pi|engine fully-functional multi-purpose multimedia application development solution.
Planned game engine features:
- Object-oriented event-driven architecture
- Game controls system
- 2D and 3D modes, that can be mixed
- Advanced, conditional scene graph, allowing conditional worlds
- Scenes have layers, layers have other layers and game objects
- Grid layers for grid-based games that provide special optimizations
- Octree layers for even more flexibility
- "Load while play" and chunk-based world streaming
- Graphics effect system for special effects
- Tracked module music support
- Post-screen video processing for even more effects
- Per-pixel colision detection for sprites but masks are supported
- Per-polygon colision detection for models
- Out-of-the-box 2D and 3D physics
- Per-pixel lighting
- Network sockets for multiplayer games
- Network synced game objects for even easier networking
- HTTP queries for web-services
- And much more.
Not all features are available on all platforms, but it is not difficult to check if something is supported, or not.